Tuesday, July 19, 2005

TDF: An Exercise in Boredom

I love the Tour de France. Adore it. Have been to France twice to watch it. It is such an amazing event. The number of people it takes to make it work plus the number watching it in person each day is staggering. Usually, the race is full of drama, a little intrigue and excitement. This year, not so much. Last year either. The last *good* race was in 2003. It is a foregone conclusion that Lance will win his 7th consecutive TdF. It might not make him the greatest cyclist ever (my vote is for Eddy Merckx) but he certainly is the greatest TdF rider ever. Or he's doped to the gills. Not saying that's what is going on but it's a possibility. I'm sure Lance won't grant me an interview now and I'm on some sort of persona non grata list but I'm not too worried about being shut out in that department.

I'll give him his due; he is phenominally well prepared. It's rather robotic actually. No personality, just response. 'Oh look, you put in a little attack. I'll let you think that you've made me work hard for about 3o seconds and then I'll pull you back.' Which is great, except that it makes for a really, really boring race. No drama. No excitement. At least t-mobile as been trying to attack which is more than I can say for CSC. Apparently, they just want to ensure that Basso gets second. Gosh, that's exciting. Basso has managed to move Michael Rasmussen aka "Chicken" into third with Ullrich in 4th (almost 3 minutes behind Chicken). Unless something happens at the last tt - the podium is set. Ullrich beat Chicken by 2:06 in the first stage - it may be close in the final TT - but I think it will be difficult for Ullrich to overtake Chicken for 3rd overall. Which is a disappointment. Probably a greater disappointment for Jan than for me, but I'm always rooting for the guy.

Maybe something will happen but I doubt it. I guess I can look forward to next year's race though: no Sheryl Crow but probably less tv coverage. You have to take the good with the bad I guess.

1 Comments:

Blogger tp_gal said...

I love sheryl crow... I wish she could be on every tv station - all sheryl all the time....

it brings tears to my eyes to think of what she has done for the sport of cycling. Before sheryl you were all a bunch of people in suits and dressess on nutty bikes with big front tires. Thanks to her, you've got the eyes of the world and look at the advancements. Those little stretchy bike suits are enough to make me watch tv.

Via la Sheryl!

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home