Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Holidays

I realize that the holidays are over but I'm still trying to come to terms with it! Not that I'm sad that they are over, more that it has been a difficult couple of weeks and I'm glad it's January. On the up side, the s.o. has a new job, we bought a new car (photos and a more detailed post about The Za is forthcoming), things seem to be o.k. at work (but you never know) and we have a 2 week holiday coming up - far, far away...

The down side, I feel like I have an emotional hangover from all of the stress. Christmas is supposed to be a "magical" time of the year (if you buy all of the hype). Instead, it makes me want to tear my hair out or better yet, tear someone else's hair out. If I could run away, I would do it. Just for two weeks. Let's say, December 20-January 3rd. That would make me happy. Christmas does not make me happy. I enjoy giving gifts and most of the time I enjoy receiving gifts. If I could just do that without interacting with any family members I would be in heaven. Mostly my own family. One particular person. If you know me, then you know who. It was so bad that it reminded my father of high school. It's not something to be proud of. At least I can say that I didn't cry or shout. So, that's an improvement. Of course, him mentioning high school then reminded me of all the things that were said to me in high school by this one particular person. Which then brought on the emotional hangover because I clearly still have issues and am completely worn out by them. At any rate, on top of the usual trauma, we received a fantastic gift from the other side of the family. A calendar with all the special family dates, like birthdays and anniversaries. Apparently, in all of my copious spare time I am to drop a note to these family members on their special day. I'm only related to these people by marriage. I don't even do this for my own family. I suppose I'm overreacting. Actually, I don't care if I'm overreacting. We'll see how much trouble we get if we don't comply with the request...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES! DEFY the mother-in-law calendar!!Your post is helping me get over my angst of not getting to have a mother-in-law.

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home